NSTU to begin work-to-rule strike on December 5th
This morning, the Nova Scotia Teachers Union alerted media that it intends to begin a work-to-rule strike action on Monday, December 5th at all schools in Nova Scotia.
The NSTU has described the work-to-rule in this way: Teachers will continue to carry out their instructional duties in classrooms, but will not support any extracurricular activities like concerts, coaching teams or supervising clubs; field trips will not go ahead. The NSTU has indicated that teachers will arrive 20 minutes before school and leave 20 minutes after, as stipulated in the Teachers Provincial Agreement.
More details about the impact of a work-to-rule strike on TCRSB schools and students will be made available in the coming days.
Please continue to monitor the TCRSB website at www.tcrsb.ca and the mainstream media for updates and developments.
Key Messages: Streamlining Curriculum Grades Primary to 3
What has changed in the Primary to Three curriculum?
● Mathematics and Language Arts are the core subjects for young children in schools. The content area subjects (Health, Integration Communication Technology, Science, Social Studies, and Visual Arts) are integrated with them.
What does integration mean?
● Integration is a way to organize and apply student learning across subjects.
● The streamlined curriculum allows students to make connections between subjects and acquire basic concepts and skills.
Key Messages: Grades Primary to 3 Report Cards
How is the P-3 report card streamlined?
The report cards for Primary and Grades 1-3 have been revised to reflect the changes to the curriculum. The main headings on the P-3 report cards are:
● The Learner Profile
● Integrated Language Arts
● Integrated Mathematics
● Physical Education
What is the learner profile?
● The learner profile describes the development of social skills and work habits.
A developmental scale is used to describe students' progress as they acquire these skills and habits. It is a three part scale used to describe a student's academic and social development on the Learner Profile and in Music and Physical Education. The codes used are:
o (WD) Well Developed
o (D) Developing
o (ND) Needs Development
What comprises a comment/grade in Grades 1-3 Integrated Language Arts?
· The comment describes student progress in Language Arts. Comments may also reference Health, Information Communication Technology, Science, Social Studies, and Visual Arts. The grade reflects student achievement of learning outcomes in Language Arts. Each strand in Integrated Language Arts will have a grade. So, an A-D will be noted for:
○ Reading and Viewing
○ Speaking and Listening
○ Writing and other ways of Representing.
○ Appreciation of the French Language and of Cultural Diversity (Immersion only)
What comprises a comment/grade in Grades 1-3 Integrated Mathematics?
· The comment describes student progress in Mathematics. Comments may also reference Health, Information Communication Technology, Science, Social Studies, and Visual Arts. There will be one overall grade (A-D) reported in Integrated Mathematics.
What comprises a grade in Grades 1-3 Music and Physical Education?
· There will be one overall grade using the new developmental codes (WD, D, ND)
Please Note the following
· For Grade Primary the Term 1 report card will only report on Integrated Mathematics and Integrated English Language Arts. Music and Physical Education will be reported on starting in Term 2
· For Grades 1-3, the Term 1 Music and Physical Education course comments are optional.
Mini Log Winner #134 - Bev Doane
1031 Mini Logs SOLD!
FRA celebrates Literacy Night with Community Readers
Darren Hudson - Lumber Jack
Francis Atkinson - Retired Teacher